Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 2 - Serbia - Ćevapčići

This week's random country was Serbia.  A quick Internet search turned up recipes for Serbian Ćevapčići, which is a meat dish, shaped, cooked, and served similar to sausage.  This was another easy one to make, with only a few ingredients.  My vegan friends may want to look away though.

We used the recipe from About.com's Eastern European Food site:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground lamb
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove chopped garlic
1 tsp. salt

Preparation was pretty easy.  Combine all the ingredients, then mix.  I tried using a potato masher at first to get the meats to mash together, but I found that a fork actually worked better in the long run.

Once everything was mixed, the next step was to roll the meat into sausage shapes.  I dug out my sushi mat for this, which worked incredibly well.  It was easy enough that Gab took over my place in the kitchen for a few minutes.  The meat was then left in the refrigerator for an hour to solidify a bit, then fried in a pan until cooked through.

Opinions were mixed with this one.  I liked it.  My wife, however, doesn't like lamb, so it wasn't really to her tastes.  Both kids refused to try it, though to be fair, they've both been ill for the last couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment